Thursday, March 12, 2015

Who Are You and What Have You Done with My Son?

The teen years are fascinating years. They can be difficult, or have difficulties, but which stage of life doesn't? But they can also have times of just making you smile or be in awe.

My son has been sticking out lately as changing. Growing. A certain sense of humour, a way of saying things, that just cracks me up sometimes. Not in a bad way at all, but cracking up because it's not only funny, but a level of sophistication that was unexpected. It's not quite the same humour he had just a year ago, which had been the same sense of humour he'd had for ages. I wish I knew how to explain it.

And then, about a week ago, I had asked for his help in the kitchen unloading the dishwasher while I took care of meal preparation. He unloaded the dishwasher--and then loaded the dirty dishes in it. I can not tell you how many times his dad and I have said things like, "You know, you can go a step further and put the dishes in without us actually asking you." This was the first time he had ever filled the empty dishwasher without my asking. That was the first recent incidence of, "Who are you and what have you done with my son?"

The second was just Tuesday. When he, his sister and I eat lunch together, we have a "tradition" of watching an episode of Doctor Who. He loves the show. Sometimes we'll watch 2 episodes. Tuesday, after we'd finished one, I gave him the option of watching another episode or working with me. He chose to do some school work. I did actually think, but didn't say, "Who are you and what have you done with my son?"

Neither the dishwasher-filling nor the choosing school work over other things seems to have lasted, but they are glimpses into this person he is becoming. And it's a total delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment