Thursday, October 21, 2010

Loving the freedom of homeschooling :)

I'm feeling the love today, the love of the freedom that homeschooling brings. And I don't mean it in the sense of the freedom of choice in curriculum, schedule, lifestyle, etc. I mean in the freedom it allows our children to grow according to their inner desires and interests, instead of being shaped by the interests and desires of their same-age peers in most schools today.

I had left out a game I introduced to my niece yesterday: a simple Winnie the Pooh Game designed for 3-5-year olds, I think. Ds saw it on the table this morning and started setting it up to play it, probably for old times' sake. When the Little One arrived, she went downstairs and the two of them played this Winnie the Pooh game together.

He is 10, keep in mind. A 10yo boy who had no qualms, no embarrassment with playing a "little kid"'s game. It would have been a very different scene if he'd pulled that game out at school in a regular grade 5 classroom here. ;)

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I had a similar thought roll thru my head one day as my 6 year old was refering to Ernie from Seaseme St to his Papa (as though he knew him!) I was thinking if he had this same conversation in a school he would probably heard..."you watch Seaseme St, thats for babys". I love that he Loves Seaseme St still!

    ReplyDelete