Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Shakespeare!

I am thinking about doing a Shakespeare play this August with all the kids. I know the littlest ones won't be able to participate--or understand much--but to expose the others will be great.

One site (a CM site) recommended A Midsummer Night's Dream as the first one; I think that's a good idea. It's fun, not too difficult. There are lots of references to mythology which might need some prep work. I know there's the movie, but it's been a while since I've seen it and I'm not sure how appropriate it would be! I don't think I'd be able to get the oldest to actually act it out. Hm... That's a whole issue to tackle.

Another site mentioned age 9 or 10, but I'm not sure if Charlotte meant to start at that age or was just mentioning those ages for examples. The 9yo had read A Midsummer Night's Dream, and the oldest kids this August will be 10, 11 and 13, so it should be reasonably good. The little ones (not yet 2, 3.5 and 6.5) might not get terribly involved!

Why do Shakespeare? This has a great explanation, although I do wonder if it's actually true that Shakespeare truly added that many words and phrases to the English language. http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/2009/07/whats-so-great-about-shakespeare.html I will have to find out!

Now to figure out how to actually go about it... Audiobook? Read with stick puppets? (:D)

No comments:

Post a Comment